Re-cover

ChuckRandall

I am almost committed to a re-cover of my BL17ATC. I have had the aircraft 20 years, have ~1700 hours on the engine, and have good avionics. I plan to use Oratex 6000, www.betteraircraftfabric.com. Oratex cuts the cost in 1/2 and labor down to 1/3. Seconite and dope are cost prohibitive. I will have some A&P supervision and an Oratex expert to help.
My concerns are:
1) I know there is a bulletin (or pamphlet, or whatever) regarding ailerons. I have play in my ailerons that would require 6 new inspection holes to get to where they are anchored into the wing. Can anyone tell me how to get the information?
2) I would like to obtain a hydraulic accumulator. Mine failed about 8 years ago and was just removed and not replaced.
3) I plan to add a GMU in the wing for future avionics. Anyone have experience with the wiring and protecting it?
4) I will also add a landing/taxi light to the right wing. The LED draw *2 (both wings) should not over tax my alternator.
5) It would be a good opportunity to replace my windscreen. Are there any out there?

I plan to extensively document this process. My hope is that if this is successful, it will provide a blue print for other Viking owners who cannot justify the $60k+, but can do the $25-30K of this process.

I am open to suggestions. Go ahead with the criticism too, I can handle it.

I'm not sure about the G5, but the GI-275 has very restrictive requirements on where the GMU-11 or GMU-44 can be installed on a fabric covered airplane due to lightning requirements. All of the wing that isn't in the prop diameter is definitely not in the acceptable zones, which stinks because out in the final third of the wing is probably as magnetically quiet as you're going to see on an airplane. It took a while, but we found an acceptable location behind the baggage compartment on my 260.

I am almost committed to a re-cover of my BL17ATC. I have had the aircraft 20 years, have ~1700 hours on the engine, and have good avionics. I plan to use Oratex 6000, www.betteraircraftfabric.com. Oratex cuts the cost in 1/2 and labor down to 1/3. Seconite and dope are cost prohibitive. I will have some A&P supervision and an Oratex expert to help.
My concerns are:
1) I know there is a bulletin (or pamphlet, or whatever) regarding ailerons. I have play in my ailerons that would require 6 new inspection holes to get to where they are anchored into the wing. Can anyone tell me how to get the information?
2) I would like to obtain a hydraulic accumulator. Mine failed about 8 years ago and was just removed and not replaced.
3) I plan to add a GMU in the wing for future avionics. Anyone have experience with the wiring and protecting it?
4) I will also add a landing/taxi light to the right wing. The LED draw *2 (both wings) should not over tax my alternator.
5) It would be a good opportunity to replace my windscreen. Are there any out there?

I plan to extensively document this process. My hope is that if this is successful, it will provide a blue print for other Viking owners who cannot justify the $60k+, but can do the $25-30K of this process.

I am open to suggestions. Go ahead with the criticism too, I can handle it.
Have you asked this question on the Viking Pilots forum?

Back