Cracked Sight Gauge

bhershbe

Have a 1972 KCAB with a single fuel gauge in the right wing. After noticing a fuel smell in the cabin for a couple months, poking around on this forum, and a couple other indicators I found that the glass has a clean crack about 2/3’s from the bottom. The crack looked like an odd fuel level until putting a flashlight to the tank. It’s weeps way more than I’m comfortable with. Also makes a mess of the wing.

My IA won’t replace the glass. Too many bad experiences and apparently replacement gaskets aren’t available. He was willing to loan me a tap,for when the threads get fouled but was very direct that I was about to ground the airplane by one of 8 things that can and likely will go wrong.

I don’t want to live with the weep or manage the fuel level so it never sits with over 1/2 - 1/3 tank. Advice, alternatives, or any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Well, several years later - last summer - Dan did the annual on my 7KCAB. Turned out the issue wasn't the sight glass but a minor crack in the weld where the gauge stub meets the tank. Glad I didn't go directly down the risky sight glass replacement path!

Back